4th November – Book Blest Christian Book Festival in Stroud
11th November – Romantic Novelists Association Industry Awards
November – Eyelands Book Awards hosted by Strangedays Books in Athens
November Children in Read’s charity auction in aid of BBC Children in Need.
Saturday 6th April 2024 – Q&As at The Cinema Museum in the Kennington area of South London after two screenings of SWALLOWS AND AMAZONS(1974)
July 2024 – Talk celebrating 50th Anniversary of filming Swallows and Amazons (1974) in Cumbria at Windermere Jetty Museum for Lakeland Arts.
TBC – Meet the Author – interviewing Rupert Wieloch at Pilgrims’s Old Library Winchester – discussing his book ‘Churchill’s Prisoners’
TBC – A Talk on The Making of Swallows and Amazons near Denbigh.
TBC – Speaking to members of Gloucester Book Club
TBC – Interview on The All Things Book Show by Dawn Brookes
TBC – A talk on Ride The Wings of Morning for Brokenhurst Probus at Balmer Lawn
TBC – A winter talk at Lymington Town Sailing Club on the Solent
TBC – literary lunch in Bedfordshire in aid of SchoolReaders
TBC – Mudeford Sailing Club’s Swallows & Amazons weekend
TBC – Q&A with Sophie after a screening of ‘Swallows & Amazons’ (1974) at the Brewery Arts Cinema in Kendal
A Christmas reading on UCB Radio in Ireland.
Meeting Sarah Fergusson, Duchess of York
November – Talks on ‘Funnily Enough the True Story’ and ‘The Making of Swallows and Amazons’ at the Stroud Christian Book Festival.
October 2022 – Talk on ‘The Making of Swallows and Amazons’ at Queen Elizabeth College, Greenwich, London
Talks at Southampton International Boat Show 2022 on the Foredeck Stage with a feature in Practical Boat Owner magazine and book-signing.
I have been at a series archery matches. Check my colours.
All is revealed in a feature by Francesca Tyer on Authors Reach blog and in an interview on Your Take’s Podcast about classic TV drama serials – please click here for Your Take’s YouTube channel
Championing the Race for Reading for the literacy charity SchoolReaders
A workshop for authors on the art of photographing your own books
Funny Ha Ha – A review of Funnily Enough by Ruth Leigh
Q&A at the Open Day at Bakers Mill in the Cotswolds
Book launch of Julia Jones’s latest book ‘Uncommon Courage’
Book Launch of Write Well published by ACW at Mary in London SWI
‘Swallows and Amazons'(1974) broadcast on Talking Pictures TV
Hosted workshop at The Late Summer Festival of Romantic Books and Writing
Outdoor talk on ‘The Making of Swallows and Amazons’
Speaking to Helen Millican on BBC Radio Cumbria – on BBC Sounds here
Appearing on BBC Antiques Roadshow with Marc Allum
Events held in 2020
December 2020 – ‘In Conversation with Sophie Neville’ Lakeland Arts celebrated the 90th Anniversary of the publication of ‘Swallows and Amazons’.
‘Books at Lunchtime’ with Ketts Books
BBC Children in Need 2020 @BBCCCiN gained a staggeringly generous bid of £201 for a signed, hardback, first edition of ‘The Secrets of Filming Swallows & Amazons’ in a charity auction for bestselling authors – Read more here
Sophie won the Create! competition exhibiting at the Wilson Stephens & Jones Gallery in Notting Hill, London
Sophie also won an award for Beach Cleaning
‘Swallows and Amazons'(1974) in which Sophie Neville plays the heroine, Titty, was last Broadcast on BBC2 on 30th August.
Sophie hosted a competition for authors on photographing books
For the ‘Chick Lit and Proscecco’ online festival with a Facebook Live talk.
May-July 2020 – Reading Lockdown Tales – broadcast on BBC Radio Suffolk and BBC Sound with a Wonderfulbeasts – listen to it here:
‘Lockdown Tales’ brings together a fantastic array of readers – Dame Penelope Wilton, Diana Quick, Sophie Neville, Hilary Greatorex, Sam Wright, Emily Holt as well as authors reading their own work.
With original music composed by Sylvia Hallett, the collection was made available for children worldwide, in a podcast series hosted by #WonderfulBeast.
Marathon reading of The Picts and The Martyrs by Arthur Ransome – an IF NOT DUFFERS production
- Highlights of 2019 ~
- Sailing in Norway, meeting Stacey Dooley in Bodo above the Arctic Circle
- Won Ladies Championship for long-bow archery
- Romantic Novelist Association Conference at Lancashire University
- Worcestershire Archery Society at Blackmore Park
- Great British Spring Clean 2019 celebration at the House of Commons
- 30 Days Wild with the Wildlife Trusts
- Great British Beach Clean with Keep Britain Tidy
- A talk on charts and maps for Brokenhurst Probus at Balmer Lawn Hotel.
- The Arthur Ransome Society IAGM in Lyndhurst, New Forest
Highlights of 2018 ~
- Book Signing at Beenham Hatch, Buckleberry, Berkshire
- Launch of the DVD ‘Walton’s Secret Water.’
- A talk on ‘Ride the Wings of Morning’ at Lymington Town Sailing Club.
- Art For Africa – an exhibition of paintings at Beenham Hatch.
- Interviewed on beach cleaning by BBC Radio Solent
- ‘Swallows and Amazons re-visited’ in the Lake District
- 45th Anniversary talk on ‘The Making of Swallows and Amazons (1974)’ in Cumbria featured in the Westmorland Gazette
- Talk at Balmer Lawn Hotel, Brockenhurst, for Probus
- Talk on ‘The Secrets of Filming Coot Club & The Big Six’ for the Norfolk Broads Yacht Club
- Opening the Tavistock Music and Arts Festival, giving an illustrated talk on ‘The Making of Swallows and Amazons’ followed by a cinema Q&A.
- Rowing The Queen’s barge Gloriana in the Boat Race Flotilla on BBCTV.
- The Waterberg Trust Challenge Ride across the game reserves of South Africa, to raise funds for Save the Wateberg Rhino.
Highlights of 2017~
- Signing books at The Waterberg Trust Christmas Fair in Berkshire.
- Griff Rhys Jones, Lubby Purves and Sophie Neville took part in a Marathon Read at Pin Mill Sailing Club in Suffolk
- A Talk at Lymington Town Sailing Club
- A Talk in Hampshire for members of the Women’s Institute.
- Reading of Swallows and Amazons’ for Visit England’s Year of Literary Heroes.
- The Arthur Ransome Literary Weekend in Edinburgh.
- In the New Forest for the Curious Arts Festival
- Won Ladies Challenge at the Worcestershire Archery Society
- Sailing Arthur Ransome’s yacht the Nancy Blackett in Holland.
- A talk at The Captain’s Club in Christchurch.
- Opening talk at The Arthur Ransome Society
- Sophie opened the Arthur Ransome Pin Mill Jamboree in Suffolk.
- A Talk at the Tavistock Music and Arts Festival 2017 on ‘Funnily Enough – Living with Otters’, joined by Rudi-the-Otter who stars in the ITV series ‘The Durrells’ and appeared in Natural World for BBC Two .
- Henlease Book Group in Bristol discussed ‘Funnily Enough’.
- The Waterberg Trust Challenge Ride across the game reserves of South Africa
Highlights of 2016 ~
- Talk by award-winning producer Alastair Fothergill for The Waterberg Trust.
- Screening of ‘My Feral Heart’ in Soho.
- An illustrated talk with a book signing for Mudeford Sailing Club.
- Book launch of ‘Swallows, Amazons & Coots’ with Forward by Sophie Neville
- Release of the new film ‘Swallows and Amazons’ (2016) in cinemas.
- ‘Swallows & Amazons’ (1974) screened at the Just So Festival
- Q&A with Sophie Neville and Diana Quick at Aldebrough cinema
- Won Ladies Challenge at the Worcestershire Archery Society
- Cast and crew preview of ‘Swallows and Amazons’ (2016)
–Diver Dan Travers with Sophie Neville-
- The Arthur Ransome Society IAGM in Dumfries, Scotland
- Book launch for ‘Belfast to Behghazi’ by Rupert Wieloch.
- Representing Bible Society at Spring Harvest in Minehead
- Leading the Waterberg Trust Challenge Ride 2016
Highlights of 2015 ~
- Book signing at the Red Cross Fair in Bedford
- Film Night evening in aid of Hampshire Air Ambulance
- 600th Anniversary of Agincourt at Chatsworth shooting the longbow
-Sophie Neville shooting at Chatsworth-
- TARS summer camp, Chichester Harbour, with ‘Swallow’ from the film.
- Curious Arts Festival Talk and Q&A with Sophie Neville
-Sophie Neville at the Curious Arts Festival-
- Swallows & Amazons (1974) screened at the Belfast Film Festival
‘Swallows and Amazons'(1974) screened at the Belfast Film Festival
- The launch of Ping-a-Pound for Medecine Sans Frontieres
- Leading the flotilla for 800th Anniversary of the signing of the Magna Carta
-Sophie Neville with the Town Crier of Windsor-
- Swallow, the dinghy used in the film was at Beale Park Outdoor Show
- Talk by Sophie on ‘The Secrets of Filming Coot Club’
- a Q&A from Sophie Neville at the Riverside cinema
- Sophie appeared on CBBCTV’s Cinemaniacs.
-Sophie Neville signing books-
- Sophie led the Waterberg Charity Ride in South Africa.
-Sophie Neville in South Africa-
Highlights of 2014
- Book signing at Waterstones in Lymington becoming bestseller of the day.
- Canine Partners at Drapers Hall in the presence of HRH Duchess of Gloucester.
- Cotswold Life Author’s Lunch At Lower Slaughter Manor.
- A talk for The Arthur Ransome Literary Day in Scotland.
- Raising money for charity 2014 in Cowes, Isle of Wight
- Filming with our otters in Scotland on the movie Scottish Mussel
- Charity sheep drive across London Bridge as featured in the Times.
- Event for inner City children at Countryside Live – Lee Valley, London
Sophie Neville with Lord Nelson’s canon
- An evening with the Royal London Yacht Club on the Isle of Wight.
Sophie Neville being interviewed on France 3
- Ladies prize for highest score West Berks Archery Meeting.
- Sophie Neville on Channel 5’s show The Wright Stuff
- Sophie on BBC Radio Cumbria with Westmorland Gazette weekend feature
Sophie Neville with film fans
- Screening at Zeffirelli’s cinema in Ambleside with Q&A by Sophie Neville
- Lakeland Radio interview
- Sophie was speaking on Premier Radio on ‘Woman to Woman’
- Hastings Pirate Day Sophie spoke at the Electric Palace Cinema
- Presentation of books ~ Ladies of LBC
- Chatted on Mark Forrest Evening Show on BBC Radio
- Talks at The Arthur Ransome Society International Annual Weekend.
- 40th Anniversary talk for The Arthur Ransome Society
- Arthur Ransome weekend with a talk on film locations.
- Vsit to Arthur Ransome’s house as reported by the Westmorland Gazette.
- Talk on China’s Bestseller in the Waterberg, South Africa
- An after-lunch talk at Shotley Marina, Harwich.
Highlights of 2013
- Funnily Enough awarded International Rubery Book Award 2013 third prize
- Sophie Neville’s artwork featured on Made In Chelsea.
- The unveiling of the Arthur Ransome plaque at Rugby School.
- An introduction to Swallows & Amazons at Royal Lymington Yacht Club.
- An after dinner talk for the Solent Section of the Cruising Association
- A talk on filming Swallows & Amazons for Walhampton School.
- Hosting the Film Cafe at the SE New Wine Summer Conference
- Talk on ‘Filming ‘Coot Club’ at the Royal Harwich Yacht Club
- Guest speaker at The Arthur Ransom Soecity IAGM at Brockenhurst College.
- Sailing the Nancy Blackett from Bucklers Hard to Lymington.
Sophie Neville supporting Comic Relief on Red Nose Day
Huge thanks to all supporters.
- An interview on GNBA Radio broadcast worldwide.
- Second Chance Radio Show in the USA. To listen to it click here
- Dulwich Film at the Michael Croft Theatre introducing a screening.
- On Channel 4 ~ ‘Compulsive Obsessive Cleaners’, documentary series on clearing out my mother’s house where Funnily Enough is set.
- With Ryan Jones, Captain of the Welsh Rugby Team at a charity dinner.
- Appearing on the cover of iBelieve magazine ~
- Richard Pilbrow was awarded an Honorary Fellowship by the Royal Central School of Speech & Drama. Suzanna Hamilton and I found ourselves at the cinema where the premier of Swallows & Amazons was held in 1974.
- November 2012 ~ A cable from Hollywood: Hateship Productions wanting to use Sophie Neville’s artwork in a new movie starring Nick Nolte, Guy Pearce and Kristen Wiig called, ‘Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage.’
~ Talks and other events ~
- A talk on China’s Bestseller in Winchester and an illustrated talk on ‘China’s Bestseller’ in Southampton.
- A book launch for ‘Remembering Tenko’ by Andy Priestner at the Imperial War Museum, with Ann Bell, Louise Jameson and other cast members. Sophie Neville provided location and cast photographs for the Kindle version.
- Channel 4 filming a documentary with the Nevilles at Bakers Mill.
- 15th October ~ Ride the Wings of Morning did well in the UK and US free Kindle store promotion:
#1 in Nonfiction > Travel > Africa
- #1 in Nonfiction > Biographies & Memoirs > Specific Groups
- #1 in US Nonfiction > Biographies & Memoirs > Adventurers & Explorers
- 13th October ~ Funnily Enough did quite well in the UK free Kindle store promotion ~
#1 in the category ‘Parenting and Families’
#1 in the category ‘Famiglia e relazioni‘ in Italyin the Amazon free Kindle stores.
- The Quay Book Club discussed ‘Ride the Wings of Morning’ with Sophie Neville.
- 20th Anniversary of City Barge.
- The Drapers’ Academy Opening Celebration
- Regatta for the Disabled at Henley-on-Thames with Peter Willis, deputy editor of Classic Boat Magazine.
- Swallows and Amazons (1974) was shown at Eden Arts’ Picnic Cinema at Brantwood
- Ben Ainslie’s Olympic Celebration at the RLYC
- Archery with the longbow at Meriden
- WAS Archey Meeting at Sherridge ~ won the Baylis Arrow
- Rowing in the Royal Thamesis for HM the Queen at Henley-on-Thames
- Cumbria Life report on Sophie Neville’s visit to the Lake District
- Alexina Trophy at the Royal Lymington Yacht Club
- Arthur Ransome tour of the Lake District reported in the North West Evening Mail
- Swallows and Amazons was broadcast in the UK on Bank Holiday Monday.
- 8,737 copies of my books were down-loaded in one month
- Ride the Wings of Morning is back at #2 in the Bestsellers in African Travel list on Amazon UK Kindle. Funnily Enough is just below Terry Pratchett on the Kindle list for Humour.
- April 25th ~ Ride the Wings of Morning reaches # 2 in the Amazon UK Kindle store under the category Bestsellers in African Travel. Funnily Enough was sitting just under NIV Bible sales in UK Kindle Bestsellers in Non-Fiction.
- 22nd April ~ Funnily Enough entered the Top 100 in the paid Kindle Store Bestseller list and reached:
- #14 in Bestsellers in Non-fiction, just above A Night to Remember: the Classic Bestselling Account of the Sinking of the Titanic by Julian Fellowes, Brian Lavery and Walter Lord.
- 20th April ~ Richard Kay reports on Funnily Enough’s success in the Daily Mail
- 19th April ~ Funnily Enough at #2 in the Amazon UK Kindle store and at #1 for Humour.
- Ride the Wings of Morning at #1 for Non-fiction/Biographies&Memoirs.
- Both have been classified by Amazon as Bestselling Books.
- 16th-18th April 2012 ~ The London Book Fair ~ promoting Funnily Enough and Ride the Wings of Morning.
- 18th April ~ The Kindle ebook of Funnily Enough, reached Number 2 in the free Amazon UK Kindle store downloading at the rate of 240 an hour: a new Amazon Bestseller.
- Kempsford Literary Festival, supporting Virginia McKenna who was speaking on her book ‘The Life in My Years’ and her work with the Born Free Foundation
- House of Commons by kind invitation of Lord Mawhinney
- Talk at The Arthur Ransome Society annual lunch in Arundel.
- The Arthur Ransome Trust ~ Movie Memories write-up
- Book Launch of ‘Funnily Enough’ by Sophie Neville
- Westminster Abbey ~ in the presence of Her Majesty the Queen and HRH the Prince of Wales for 400th year celebration of the King James Bible .
- Art Exhibition at the Royal Lymington Yacht Club.
- Illustrated talk by Sophie Neville on The making of Swallows and Amazons for The Arthur Ransome Society’s Literary Weekend 2011
- Guest appearance on Waterberg Waves, a Radio Station in South Africa
10 thoughts on “Events in 2023 & 2024”
Very busy lady! I’ve been rather out of touch, and had no idea you’d been producing books and much more all these years. Well done a hundred fold over! It isn’t clear enough to me how to BUY your books, which I must now do… one of each is essential. Tell me where to click for a PayPal order.
The only books I have for sale at the moment can be found on
You can certainly use Paypal. Your best bet is to click on The Book Depository UK as they will send out to S.Africa free of charge.
I know you will want the next two, as you’ll know some of the characters – but I am still busy formatting in the artwork – it takes ages, I’m afraid. Please let me know if you’d like me to e-mail you a draft copy. It needs proof-reading!
One of my friends has just told me about your website and I will definitely be reading it bit by bit to learn about the making of Swallows and Amazons, as I love the books and film.
I also see that you are coming to give a talk at Orwell Park in March – I live in Ipswich and would love to come, but I’m not sure if it’s possible for someone who’s not connected with the school to come along? Do you have any more information?
I do hope you enjoy reading about the making of the film. Let me have any questions or comments.
I’ll ask about the talk at Orwell Park School and get back to you!
If you would like to come to the talk at Orwell Park School please contact Mrs Sarah Howell who teaches there (and is also a friend of mine). Her e-mail is firstname.lastname@example.org. I will write to her saying you were interested.
I’ve been asked to speak to the 12 and 13 year olds but think some of the parents might come along. It’ll be on the Monday afternoon – 19th March. https://sophieneville.net/recent-news/
Hoping you can come – Sophie
Thank you so much for finding out about the talk for me. Unfortunately I work full time, so I won’t be able to come. I hope it goes well and that the children are interested.
What a busy lady you are! As well as producing some brilliant books, and litter picking, there’s all the work with various charities and speaking and spreading the word about Arthur Ransome. Thank you for all you do, well done, and keep up the excellent work.
This is awesomee